Thursday, August 07, 2008

Suddenly


School here starts on August 18th. A bit early compared to other parts of the country, sure, but I've been looking forward to the little bit of freedom school can offer me, the work-at-home-mom. I've been counting down the days, getting Big Sister all psyched to go to kindergarten. Her school supplies were purchased during the first sale of the season. Not one ounce of "oh my baby is growing up" has plagued me.


Until just now. Suddenly, with nothing to prompt it, I'm overwhelmed by the whole concept. Raising a little lady who is venturing into academia, full of promise. I almost feel sad, but I think I'm just overcome by emotion. I felt like this shortly after I brought her home from the hospital too. Looking at her big blank slate of a future, all the things she can accomplish. The little, the big. All monumental to her. Each new day shaping who she is just a little bit more.
Friday, I've promised to take Baby Girl to daycare so Big Sister and I can spend the day alone. We're going to get hair cuts, go out to lunch together, and shop. Back-to-school clothes are top on the list, but she did say she wants to go to the craft store. It could be a very good day. *grin*

2 comments:

AuntieAnn said...

I actually get very sad each year when school starts, which is unaccountable but, I now realize, predictable, nay, inevitable. I'm sure I'll be a mess when DD leaves home in about 4 short years (but who's counting?)

Have a wonderful day with your little lady!

Anonymous said...

Awww..how'd the day go? I'm not looking forward to when Nicolas goes either!...but excited about it too